Jack Wilshere's comeback to football did not go as planned, as the ex-Arsenal midfielder sat on the bench for the bulk of the game until being introduced with less than 20 minutes remaining.

To make matters worse, the former England international came on as a substitute for AGF Aarhus with the score at 2-2, only for his team to concede deep into the second-half stoppage time.

Wilshere has been without a club since being released by Bournemouth at the end of last season, but he recently returned to Arsenal to train in order to maintain his health.

He had minimal impact on the game, but did display his technical prowess with a number of impressive deft touches and weighted passes

Wilshere jumped right into the kind of space he used to occupy for Arsenal, picking up the ball deep and attempting to push his way up the pitch with a series of rapid one-twos.

According to the referee, a broken floodlight delayed the action by 16 minutes, thus he was ordered back to the dressing room with the rest of the players right before the second half.

Wilshere stated after the departure was confirmed earlier this month: "Since the beginning of my Arsenal training, I've never hidden the fact that my goal was to be ready for 2022 and a new club.

"Now that the perfect club has arrived, I'll be up for a new challenge. I'm at a point in my career when I need to restart after a rough period, and AGF has provided me with that opportunity.

I am glad for this, and I will do everything in my power to live up to the expectations.

"I'm excited to join the team and contribute my skills. I'm physically fit and in good shape, so now it's just a matter of getting into the team and seeing if I can earn some playing time for the club and help them win some games."

If things don't work out in Denmark, Wilshere will be encouraged by Arsenal boss and former teammate Mikel Arteta's recent words.

"First and foremost, thank you for everything he's done for us; it's been fantastic to have him here," Arteta told reporters ahead of Arsenal's match against Wolves on Thursday.

It's been fantastic to have Jack back on the field, as well as to watch him play and be with the younger kids.

"Hopefully, we can help him, and we have already helped him a little bit because he was undecided about whether to continue playing or pursue teaching."

"I believe this group of players has instilled in him the desire to feel what it's like to be a football player on a daily basis."