After they were relegated to the Europa League, every Barcelona fan instantly recognised the toughest fixture in the mix – the one vs Napoli. With one of the best defensive records in Europe, Luciano Spalletti has transformed the side; one that is also part of the Serie A title race.
Unfortunately, Barcelona’s worst fears came true as they were drawn up against Napoli. And tomorrow, they walk into the Camp Nou to take their first step en route to the trophy.

Xavi did not miss his pre-game press conference ahead of the match, addressing the media about his team and much more.

On the support: “We know it will be a difficult and important tournament for us. We need the fans. We want the fans who attended against Atletico Madrid. We have to compete tomorrow and play at our best.”

On the competition in the Europa League: “In the Europa League there are also great teams. We would like to be in the Champions League but we didn’t do the job so we have to compete in the Europa League.”

On the team’s goal: “Our current goal is to enter the Champions League next season and we have two paths: the La Liga and the European League.”

On Eric Garcia: “Eric is a top-level defender for me, he made a mistake and he knows it. The pity is that he got injured when he was at his peak and now he has to regain confidence because he’s very important to me in my plan.”

On completing 100 days as Barcelona manager: “100 days? Sometimes it feels like 100 years because we’ve been through unexpected situations. We’ve managed them and what I want is for Barça to be where they should be again. We have to push forward, even if it’s not the best moment in the club’s history.”

“It looks like 100 years with the injuries and conditions that have befallen us. But we have improved, we are competing, as shown in the League. Things have to be improved but the League is the one that tells you if you are on the right track and I think we are growing and we are positive.”

On if Barça are Europa League favourites: “I will not say that we are the favourites, because we are in the knockout stages. Napoli is a difficult opponent that performs well in the Serie A.”

“It is one of the toughest opponents in this tournament. They have more experience than us in this tournament. We will try to compete.”

On Kylian Mbappe: “I’m not talking about Mbappe. Do you have other names? Come on, give me a question about Pedri, Ferran. I don’t know.”

“Mbappe… I don’t have to talk about him, I prefer to talk about mine. Mbappe is a great player, like Messi, like Neymar, like PSG. It makes me angry not to be in his competition, but I don’t want to speak about MBAPPE.”

On rotations: “I don’t have 11 fixed players, everyone is important and everyone has chances. There can be no fixed 11 with so many matches in a row.”

On Adama Traore: “Adama is giving us a lot. He’s only played two games and it’s not much, but he’s a player who throws things off balance and is capable of making the difference. He can blow up games.”

On Luuk de Jong: “The way he trains and his commitment is he’s ready, he’s professional, I’m sure he’s ready and I have no doubts about that. Luuk could surprise what he has given us, but watching him train, his involvement and dedication no longer surprises you. His training sessions are brutal and he is always there, when we need him.”

On the criticism towards Garcia and Busquets: “Criticism to Eric and Busi? At Barça everyone is criticized and must be accepted. It helped me improve in my day as a footballer, but for me Busquets is essential”

On criticism towards Messi: “It’s normal for there to be criticism of Messi being where he is. If you only take the penalty then there are, but for me he will always be the best.”

On Dembele playing at the Camp Nou: “Dembele will not depend on playing at home or away, but on what we are looking for in the team and of course he will be an important player until the end of the season. He is one more and he will help us.”

On Aubameyang’s adaptation: “He’s good, he’s 100% ready, he’s a player who can make a difference and can go deep, I’m happy for him, he’s professional.”

On Ferran Torres: “Very good, I am very happy with him, he plays well as a 9 and the way he moves forward, he gives us a lot, he is a player with great potential, he helps us a lot and I admire him, he will help us without doubt.”

On missing Dani Alves: “He will help us in the dressing room, and as I said earlier, the decision is unfair to Dani Alves, Dani’s level is perfect but this decision had to be made, it’s a shame.”